As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Friday, November 7, 2008

Guppies and stars



The stars on the water keep on mesmerizing me. They're so gorgeous - and with every flicker cut straight into my heart making me drunk with a feeling I can't describe but probably could come close to feeling 'high' (on drugs, from what I heard of it). The clip lost quality though when uploading to youtube and the stars can't be seen as clearly as on the original clip.

It was cold when I left the house and I was dressed "flimsily" but a quick pace kept me warm. When I arrived at the Nemaal I was surprised to see the aurea at the end of the horizon over the sea was still there. It has been there on the two previous evenings when I watched the sunset - but had thought it had to do with the sunset - however, as photo 1 shows, it is there in broad daylight as well....

The second thing that caught my eye was a small 'cloud' of 'dirt'. However when I looked closer I discovered those were guppies (which are just born fish in dutch). I bought my capuccino - I climbed over the balustrade to have a look at a poor dead and very unusual looking crab down the rocks and walked on to the end of my mezah to find...........................

hundreds, literally hundreds.... of guppies exactly there where I usually sit myself down. They are so gorgeous. Their microscopically small tails are transparent and their tiny little bodies look like dark and lighting pinpoints. Later on I descended into the water upon 'hot advice' of one of my fishermen and they didn't swim away but floated around me :-) Soooooooooo sweet. (photo 2)

It is a terrible pity my camera couldn't register the glittering of the surface of the sea which happened each time a wave swayed them up and down with him. It was simply breathtaking to see that and gave me, inexplicably, a very happy feeling and also a feeling of solemn awe as to how such little and very "unintelligent" (or uncomplicated) creatures can bring forth such a magnificent beautiful effect.

Let it also be registered for me that today I picked up a live fish by its tail for the first time. I saw him helplessly fluttering around in the very shallow puddle of water at the middle of my mezah under the burning sun - and since I didn't succeed in picking him up with my paper napkin (from Aroma) I had no choice but grab him with my bare vingers. I've never seen a fish swim so fast as this little guy after I had thrown him back into the sea :D

7-11-2008-sea
7-11-2008-guppies3
7-11-2008-starsonthewater4

No comments: