As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Monday, August 11, 2008

Left the house late, at 06:30 a.m. It was dawning already.

I wanted to find out some information in Jaffa that I saw when I last was there but didn't write down so tried to find my way to that specific place again, which turned out harder than I thought it was since I lack any feeling of orientation.

First I passed Shuk Ha-Carmel. It was practically empty and the bastot didn't open yet. It gives a special feeling to cross a place like that that is usually crowded while it is forsaken. While passing near the Carmelit station I saw a branch of a cactus hang over the wall around a garden with sabres on it. Didn't see those in urban Tel-Aviv yet on my strolls so took a photo of that as well.

When I passed Street 902 (or 920, I forgot) - I asked a nice man working there whazzup. (Referring to the girl of the macolet I met last week) - He patiently explained to me that in Jaffa everywhere and always archaeological digs were to be made before anyone could construct new roads, buildings or even add an extra room to his house. They had not found anything yet. The municipality is paying for those digs but contractors cannot start work without ishur that the place was checked.

I passed the Nemaal where I sat down at the brim of the water for 10 minutes and tried to get some swallows that were swiftly flying around over the water on camera... didn't succeed :(

I then went on to where I thought had seen that information but couldn't find the place. There were lovely houses there though. Some old, some renovated, some newly built. I asked a man at a macolet there how much it would be to buy a house there and he said that "that" house (he pointed) was just sold for one and a half million dollar. I find that hard to believe... But still. It seems to be very expensive. That neighborhood is called Shonat Ha-Ogen (Anchor).

It dawned to me that perhaps I saw that information in another neighborhood in Jaffa and so I asked where the "Shaon" was (the clock the Ottomans placed in Jaffa and is a famous place everyone knows to find -except for me LOL) - I set out on my way.

On route I saw a HUGE flower (like some 30-40- or more centimeters length) blooming over a stone wall that fenced a house there in Abdelrauf Albitar st. (named after the mayor of Jaffa between 1939-1941) and I passed a house that cannot be called anything else but a house of horrors (on the tayelet of Jaffa right opposite the sea) - I heard this strange, loud noise, came close (like stuck my head in almost through the iron bars that functioned as walls and windows), almost fainted of the peculiar stench reeking out from the place and saw......... tens, or maybe hundreds of bats *_*

They were mostly sleeping (or at least I think so because they hang down from the ceiling) and some were flying around making screeching loud noises. Iechsssssssssssss.... (photo)

Finally I found what I was looking for and started my way to the bus home, while noticing that all the old places in Rothschild Blvd. where for years we used to come to eat Turkish borekas with Turkish yoghurt were not there anymore..

11-8-2008-shukhacarmel2
11-8-2008-sabres2
11-8-2008-jaffaarcheologicdig
11-8-2008-cactusflower
11-8-2008-horrorhouse4
11-8-2008-horrorhouse3

2 comments:

Tamar Orvell said...

Awesome pix. I was there a couple of months ago and luckily did NOT come upon the bats... I am so happy to see non-touristy scenes, i.e., the Clock, Andromeda's Rock, the flea market, etc.;-) thanks.

Beachdiary said...

Thank you Tamar ;-)
I am thoroughly enjoying my 'outings'. So much so that I wish I could force everyone to look at the photos (expressing my experiences during these outings) - which, of course, is ludicrous LOL.