As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Friday, October 10, 2008

All those cats...

Landcats, seacats....

Not having slept at all last night (due to having slept all of Yom Kipur) and getting fed-up by the hour creeping by too slowly I left the house at 4:30 a.m. It was dark and except for a few cars and approx. 10 people in the streets, I didn't see any movement during my walk to the beach.

When I arrived there a fisherman I've never seen before showed me what he had caught. This was the first time I've ever seen a "chatul-yam" (Sea-cat) (photo 1 and 2). He saw I was pretty enthusiastic about it and held the chatul in several positions for me to photograph. It seems they give off a kind of an electric "shock" when alive and if you touch them. But this one was quite dead.

Walking away there and looking out at crab-rock I saw Ms.Cat running for the Kingfisher that was sitting on the railing. Obviously the Kingfisher was way too fast for Ms.Cat and... unfortunately also for my camera. (photo 3)

I have a love-hate relation with Ms.Cat now. Ever since she thinks my legs are there for her to show her affection to (bite them) I stay a tad away from her. But, when she sees me she comes running to me, so I do cuddle her a bit, just enough not to let her to get too close to my legs.

I noticed big crabs walking the bottom of the pond but although with the eye they were real clear to see my camera (having a mind of his own) decided to bring them up blurry. And thus photo 4 should actually bear a caption "this is a walking crab".

After depositing my backpack with one of the fishermen I walked to the end of my mezah and got myself nicely wet - nicely because the water was warm and the wind blew its refreshing breath to cool it off on my skin. Kingfishers flew past by me at dazzling speed and close to my head and.... making l-o-u-d noises. It felt like paradise :-)

Then it was time to have my first bite of food since before yom-Kipur and when I ordered the capuccino and half a sandwich at Aroma-at-the-beach (which is actually Aroma-at-the-nemaal) the girls behind the counter exclaimed "wha-aat? a sandwich in the morning, xxx? (xxx= my name)". :D :D They're so cute, those girls!

Not much going on after that except that I thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the wall near my mezah and eating this sandwich (and drinking my capuccino of course) while watching the magic sea, and I had a laugh when I wanted to 'rescue' a fish caught in the puddle of water at the center of my mezah and 'deliver' him back to the sea. He swam ever so fast and me running after him with my sandal in my hand (a communist can't be handled with bare hands) - was never able to perform my heroic mission :D


10-10-2008-chatulyam4
10-10-2008-chatulyam2
10-10-2008-ms-cat-missed
10-10-2008-crabwalk3

No comments: