As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dionon

I always knew that a Dionon (fish) had, obviously, something to do with "dio" (ink in Hebrew) - but never really got into it, like with so many things. So. Today, after having had a sandwich and cappuccino at my mezah in the afternoon, I saw a little 'moving rock' in the water puddle at the middle of the mezah. After, again: obviously, investigating (my nose was almost touching the ' moving rock' - that's how curious I was) - a fisherman (I had never seen before) called out to me "Are you watching the Dionon?" - HUH???

He started explaining things about the 'fish' to me and also how he had already cut a piece out of him to give to the other fishermen at my mezah to serve as bait. As he said this, I could only watch the Dionon :-( How would it feel to have a piece cut out of him? I felt so sorry for him (I know I am exaggerating in my compassion for living creatures and... also being terribly hypocritical because I couldn't care less if a cockroach would suffer, but I cannot control my feelings - and for this little creature I felt sorry).

He held him up for me so I would be able to take some photos -

Now, at home, I read about the Dionon (it isn't a fish at all but a 'molluscs") here (clicking here will take you there) and it turns out to be quite an advanced creature, with having the most amazing eyes (which 'my' Dionon kept closed - I hope not out of pain :( ) - something I would have never expected from looking at him (but then again: nature is the single most advanced existence on earth -and everywhere, anyway) - and.... they have 3 hearts!!!!

I truly hope cold-blooded animals have no sense of pain.

(the last photo is of the pond which is slowly slipping in - the sea water is retreating more and more - and that after they have been working all summer long to deepen the pond and have more water flowing in it).

13-1-2009-dionon3
13-1-2009-dionon2
13-1-2009-dionon
13-1-2009-dionon9
13-1-2009-pond-slipping-in

No comments: