As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Too much

I know. On a "working day" (Sundays are working days in Israel) I shouldn't be giving in to my drives and let the beach tempt me, but I can't resist.... and so:


I left the house again at 06:00 a.m. and started out via Shouk HaCarmel towards the place that has been my refuge ever since I arrived here in Israel: the Beach.

However, at Shouk HaCarmel I was stopped by a lady sitting next to a bread-roll stand I have seen every time I pass there (so like... many times) and I have never seen her sell any of her rolls. She called me. The Shouk was quite empty with only salesmen delivering products in trucks and she was sitting near her stand already - like she didn't move position since all of the last times I saw her in the months before.

She wanted so badly to sell something. She started out with the "where are you from?" openings sentence, like most of the Shouk salespeople do (they love that, when someone isn't from "da hood" because then they know they can 'work on them") - and I wasn't willing at all to participate in her little, known, game. But she asked me to come closer... and even more closer. She then started out a story about how I am her first buyer (I hadn't bought anything yet) and that I will bring her luck.

I cannot break someone's superstitions (even if they are not meant and only want me to buy no matter what) - so I asked her how much the rolls are and she said 5 shekel. I said I don't eat bread really but she was very persuasive - The flies were in the thousands sitting on her rolls and swarming above it. I really wouldn't eat a roll like that EVER. But I couldn't resist her. She took my hand. I told her to give me a roll (didn't matter which one) - and after she had put a roll with onion in a plastic bag she asked me for another shekel. I gave it. She then moistened a finger by licking it (really!!) and picked up another roll and placed it in the bag. She wished me "good parnassa, good health" etc. (the usual when you give donations here) and I wished the same back for her.

Obviously I wasn't going to eat those rolls and I knew from the beginning I would give them to the pigeons at the Opera Building Beach.... I was afraid to even touch anything else (I just don't like someone's spit on the items I am carrying) and after having fed the pigeons went to thoroughly wash my hands at the Opera Building toilets.

The gym was crowded with "old men" (I know bad description being not the youngest myself, but they really are old men) - and after watching for a while I decided to try some arm-muscle stretching exercises. Then... this old man came up and at the pulling yourself up pole he, without any effort, not only pulled himself up but also swayed himself around the pole. This at approx. 2 meters height from the ground. I on the other hand, couldn't lift myself off the ground for more than around approx. 20 cm..... My prejudices seem to always show me how wrong I am. But since I saw this I am determined to get the strenght back into my arms in order to be able to -at least- pull myself up until my shoulders and not less than 5 times.. .(Still have to figure out how though).

The sea was angry, wild and I felt very much intimidated by him today :( He did put on a spectacular show though. It is not his performance, but the message that made me feel a little upset. However, I talk back to the sea. (Yeah, I know I am crazy) - and I think when we "parted" we had an understanding.

I got home around 12:00 - even later than yesterday - and I am afraid I am becoming a "beach-bum" - but then: who cares? ;-)






6-7-2008-sea2

4 comments:

Enzo said...

No wonder that woman never sells a bread-roll!
Still... lucky pigeons!
I watched your video today and I loved it. I have a very close relationship with the Mediterranean... I was born by it! I lived half of my life with the blue Med in front of me. Those waves carry my footsteps...

Beachdiary said...

I am jealous in you, Bennauro :)
The Mediterranean was and is the sea of my dreams. When I -born in the Netherlands- was first "exposed" to it it engulfed me totally. It never has left me since. This small, but magnificent, sea carries the secrets and whisperings of what lies underneath. Of what his 'personality' tells me.

I honestly admit: there is no more faithful "friend" as is this sea. My shoulder and back.

Enzo said...

I like what you said about the Med.
I was conceived between Scylla and Charybdis, the two rocks (and monsters) of the Odyssey. The Med has its own personality, almost a soul, full of secrets and wispers for those who are willing to hear...
Ulysses, Glaukos, the Argonauts and many many others sailed past my house...

Beachdiary said...

"The Med has its own personality, almost a soul, full of secrets and wispers for those who are willing to hear..."

Exactly!!

Always fascinating, carrying with him his secrets of the deep and of times. Like a big brother, but an eternal one. I wrote it before, he's like a shoulder you can put your (figuratively speaking) head on.