As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Crab-outing

Departure: 06:00 -
Weather: gorgeous -
Environment: many, many birdsounds - not so many birds in sight -
Sea: pretty wild but quieting down later on -

I saw a Peewit Lapwing (I discovered that this is his name formerly) on the banks of the Yarkon river. The concrete banks to be precise. Unfortunately, because I am STILL stumbling with my camera's properties, I didn't catch him clearly in the photo, but his contours can still be made out. Then, a Snow Egret came flying over -a few times even- but for one reason or another I couldn't see him appear on my lcd screen so I started 'shooting' wildly around and caught him near an electricity cable flying faster than the speed of sound, LOL. Don't know why the colors are like they are because the sky was blue-ish and the bird white, but this is the only shot I have of him.
Later I saw an extremely 'good-looking' bird, shining blue wings and a huge yellow beak but he was too fast for me to be caught on camera. I thought it was a Palestine Sunbird but was wrong. It must have been some parrot of kinds.

Yesterday at Shuk Ha-Carmel "my" CD-girl told me she had a cockroach creep up her leg twice while sitting at a restaurant in Nemaal Tel-Aviv. They creep up from the wooden boardwalk it seems. So, I was very -and I mean VERY- cautious when I walked the nemaal this morning. I had some talks with the fishermen there and one told me that they DO catch fish while fishing from that raft (one said he had caught a 1-and-a-half kilo'er the day before) but usually at night. I always wondered about that because I never see any of them catching any fish at all EVER.

Then at the end of the raft one can climb up a wave-breaker-thing and there are fishermen as well. It is forbidden to do so but I think nobody cares because those fishermen always are there. One came down to scrape some snails off the rocks and while he did so I saw some "cockroaches" hurrying away. But with a second look I found they ran rather "funny" so concentrated on figuring out what this could be. They were little crabs. The photos herebelow are of the extended family being taken out by Mom for a good sunbath.


beachbird1-7-6-2008

beachbird2-7-6-2008

beachcrab1-7-6-2008

beachcrab2-7-6-2008

No comments: