As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things We do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, The ones we don't know We don't know. ~D. Rumsfeld

Friday, September 25, 2009

Kadish

This weekend is the Jewish Yom Kipur. A day of Atonement. Forgiveness. Self-reflection. But I wonder... why only one day a year? Aren't we (humanity) supposed to do so each and every day? What's the use of hurting someone and then, months later, ask for forgiveness? The months that passed were then an ordeal in itself for that person. An extra debit on the account of the one waiting for Yom Kippur.

Religion has taken from me more than it has given me. Much, much more because I don't see that it has given me anything at all. My believe in God was, is and stays. There's no doubt about that. But religion? NO! What (so-called 'wise') people interpret and therefore try to make me see their way, as if they're God's representatives on earth, doesn't impress me at all. There is no one, I repeat NO ONE, between me and God. So let them (those so-called 'wise people') stuff it.

Now I am sitting here trying to figure out if I should fast at all. I've always done it out of fear ("if you don't do it you will die in the coming year" - but I am not afraid to die anymore) and out of a feeling "if it doesn't add it also doesn't hurt". (in Dutch "baat het niet schaadt het niet").

I am angry. Very, very angry. Angry at "religion" that it has taken from me the most precious loves I had in this life. I am trying to figure out where the line is between "religion" (which I despise) and "believe" (because my believe in God is rock-solid). Based on that I will or will not fast.

Following are the photos of this morning. During the middle of next week I will post the photos and an account of my stay in Eilat during Rosh Ha-Shana.

The photos of today are of waves at the puddle in the middle of my mezah (showing that it was windy -northern wind- today) and the ever appearing stars on the water caused by the rays of the sun and,
a photo of Fairytaletree in whose company I spent a rather long time this morning. Its spell still holds the same magic on me as when I met him for the first time :) People seeing me sitting there mesmerizing are funny rather. They either look strange at me or curiously or stand still and try to see what I see. I wonder.... do they?

25-9-2009-mezah-puddle-waves-and-stars
25-9-2009-fairytaletree

No comments: